In Australia, this Sunday is Mother's Day. School and kindy are asking for photos of mums for presentations and slideshows. It took me ages to find one that I feature in and even then it only had two of my three kids in it - oooopsie. I almost reused the photo from 2016 which proved to me that, despite all the cameras and lenses in the house, I suffer from the same predicament as most mums. We don't feature!!!
Somehow, it's always the mums taking the photos. I regularly receive emails saying this. I got one yesterday - " The photos you take for us will be a nice way to ensure we are all included in the photos too. I don’t like photos of myself much, and to be honest most of the photos we have I have taken so I am not in them. I’d like some nice memories that Sophia can have to look back on too". This mum has got it in one.
i think Mother's Day is the perfect excuse to change this! This year, if you are lucky enough to see your mum, then pull out a camera/phone and start snapping. If you are a mum, hand the camera to your dad, brother, by-stander and get in that photo!! Don't sweat it if you are feeling tired, unphotogenic or not wearing your Sunday Best. Here are my tips to increase your chances of taking a keeper:
1. Find an uncluttered location/background that is well lit!
2. Gather in around your Mum/kids, use your arms to pull in everyone closely! You are family after all.
3.Heads in close, don't squish each other but definitely eliminate gaps between heads (this creates warm and fuzzies)
4. Angle your heads towards the light to eliminate shadows (this will also help to lighten dark tired bags under mum's eyes).
5. Hold camera in a slightly elevated position so chins are up and eyes/eye sockets are light-filled :)
6. Call for happy faces! Get someone to tell a joke, or do a laughing competition! We all forget the awkwardness of faking it once you get the shot!
7. if this fails, give your Mum/wife a Little Love Photography gift voucher for their birthday/xmas or next Mother's Day and we can capture the smiles, joy and memories for you. Shoots are fun! Trust me!